As you go about your daily life, you’ll see all sorts of signs. Some will be advertising products, while others will be warning you of danger. Fire safety signs are a type of sign that’s used to protect people from fire hazards.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at fire safety signs in Australia. We’ll cover what they are, what they’re used for, and some of the different types that you might see. By the end, you should have a good understanding of how to stay safe around fire hazards.
What are fire safety signs?
Fire safety signs are designed to warn people of potential fire hazards. By law, all businesses and public buildings must have them. They’re usually found in public places, such as workplaces, schools, and shopping centres. They help to ensure that people know where to go and what to do in the event of a fire. Most fire safety signs in Australia are made to the Australian Standard AS 2444. This standard defines the requirements for the design, manufacture, installation and use of fire safety signs.
Types of fire safety signs
There are three main types of fire safety signs: mandatory, cautionary, and informational.
- Mandatory signs are the most important type of fire safety sign. They’re used to indicate what you must do in the event of a fire. For example, a mandatory evacuation sign tells you that you must leave the building immediately.
- Cautionary signs are used to warn you of potential hazards. For example, a no smoking sign tells you that smoking is not allowed in the area.
- Informational signs are used to provide information about fire safety. For example, an instructional sign might tell you how to use a fire extinguisher.
Different Fire Safety Signs You Should Know
There are all sorts of different fire safety signs, each with their own symbol and meaning. The most common ones are:
- Fire exit signs – As the name suggests, these signs are designed to help people find their way out of a building in the event of a fire. Exit signs must be placed in a conspicuous location and should be illuminated so that they’re visible even in low light conditions.
- Fire extinguisher signs – These signs are designed to let people know where the nearest fire extinguisher is located. It’s important to note that fire extinguishers should only be used in the event of a small, contained fire. If a fire is too large to extinguish, you should evacuate the area immediately.
- Fire alarm signs – These signs are designed to let people know when a fire alarm is sounding. It’s important to note that fire alarms should never be ignored. If you hear a fire alarm, you should evacuate the area immediately.
- No smoking signs – these signs tell you that smoking is not allowed in the area. They’re usually red with a white cross.
- Mandatory evacuation signs – these signs tell you that you must evacuate the building immediately in the event of a fire. They’re usually red with a white running man.
There are also a few other less common types of fire safety signs. These include sprinkler system signs, smoke detector signs, and carbon monoxide detector signs.
Where Fire Safety Signs Are Required By Law?
In Australia, all public buildings are required to have certain types of fire safety signs. This includes exit signs, fire extinguisher signs, and fire alarm signs.
In addition to public buildings, many workplaces are also required to have fire safety signs. The specific requirements vary from state to state, but most workplaces are required to have exit signs, fire extinguisher signs, and fire alarm signs.
There are also a few other places where fire safety signs are required by law. These include schools, child care facilities, and aged care facilities.
The bottom line
Now that you know a little bit about fire safety signs and where they’re required by law, what are you waiting for? Find a manufacturer who can provide you with premium quality signs that are compliant with all relevant laws and regulations. For more information visit our website:- https://www.safetycivil.com.au/